+ a guide to travelling in Taiwan
To see part 1, click here.
We return to the tale, the tale of my trip to Taiwan - eye-opening, mind-widening, and of course, fun. It was a trip to remember, I'd say, with all the things I saw and experienced. I now proceed, after this short intermission.
The first thing I'd describe the mountains - cold. Yes, they were of immense beauty, mesmerizing and enthralling in all their glory, but man was it cold. 12 degrees. A scarf, ear muffs, ushanka (go google that), gloves, triple layer insulation. It was still flesh-numbling-ly chilly.
Still, veni, vidi, vici. I came, I saw, I conquered. I made it through the night burrowed within the blankets in a manner akin to a burrito, and woke up to pure, unadulterated sunlight streaming in through the windows.
And it was worth it. The span of mountains which stretched unbroken, air on a sharp, sweet, chilling note, and most of all, the peace. No honking buses, rumbling buses, nor fume-producing buses. Just the mountains, birds, and me.
A Guide to Travelling in Taiwan
1. Always bring an extra bag with you for disposing rubbish. Always.
2. Visit night markets. Shilin is a good one.
3. Eat 烧饼油条 (shao bing you tiao) for breakfast. With egg within. It's really, really good.
4. Don't go for the custard baos unless you're up for the solid-custard-type.
5. Right is left and left is right. Watch out for incoming motorists.
6. It's cafe-culture there. Bakery/cafes right left and center.
7. Drink 豆浆(soymilk). Like cafes, they're ubiquitous.
8. Take your time when deciding on souvenirs for those back home, unless you want to have to get another suitcase.
9. They have wi-fi everywhere. Everywhere.
I was fortunate enough to visit the M.C. Escher exhibition held at the art museum in Kaohsiung. Like I said, eye-opening, mind-widening.
Recommended Places to Visit:
Sun Moon Lake
should I put the coordinates here?
Carton King Taiwan
No.2, Aly. 2, Sec. 2, Dongshan Rd., Beitun Dist., Taichung City 406, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Renwu District, Kaohsiung
Liuhe Tourist Night Market
Liuhe 2nd Rd, Xinxing District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
- to be continued -